View Single Post
Old 03-01-07, 11:52 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Where: Primarily New England and the Boston area but I have ridden across the US twice and Canada once. I also travel frequently for my work and either rent a bike or bring a folder for trips in the US or Europe. I've lived in NYC and commuted around Manhattan and from Brooklyn to mid-town. I've ridden in 41 of the states and most every Canadian province.

Types of riding: I've been a transportation cyclist since age 15 and have commuted to every regular job I've ever had for the last 35 years. My longest round trip commute was 72 miles a day, which I did 3 times per week. My current commute, which I do daily, is a round trip of 21 miles in and out of downtown Boston. I qualified for the nationals as a junior racer and raced Cat 1 and 2 as a senior racer. I've done triathlons and lots and lots of long distance touring, day trips and club,recreational/training riding. I also mountain bike in Western Massachusetts. Most of my riding these days is a combination of commuting, transportation, road rides and mountain bike rides. I ride a bike path into Boston frequently and am just as comfortable on Boston streets.

I use an REI Buzz as my commuter/transportation work horse, a 1976 custom made Reynolds 531 lugged steel frame with upgraded components is my road bike, I have a da Hon folder (Helios), an Atala tandem and a Gary Fisher Super Caliber for off-road. In the 1970's I worked as a mechanic in some of the best and some of the worst bike shops in Rhode Island and Boston.

Since I do a variety of riding in a variety of circumstances it's hard to pin me down in terms of cycling "style". I obey traffic laws for the most part but I occasionally roll through stop signs and will sometimes get the jump on a line of traffic at a red light after a full stop. I ride all winter but mostly just as a commuter/grocery store/errand runner. In the summer I'm on the road bike and love climbs and long, all day road rides.

Last edited by buzzman; 03-02-07 at 12:05 AM.