View Single Post
Old 10-26-22, 08:04 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Just another bit of commentary for what it is worth. I was in Kansas City, MO on business many years ago when I saw an ad on Craigslist for a track bike. It looked interesting and at least worth a look, so I responded to the ad and the seller gave me his address. I showed up and this guy had a house full of vintage track bikes. When I say a house full, I'm not kidding. The basement was full as were a couple of upstairs rooms. Dozens and dozens. It was more than a passion of his, it became an addiction I suppose. Most of the bikes were race bikes from the early 1900's with skip tooth cranks and 1" chains. Some were on the gnarly side while some were impressively preserved and complete. Wooden rims and steel rims and alloy too.

The bike I was interested in was newer but still vintage and sadly more money than I wanted to spend. Not that it wasn't worth it, but just wasn't the right time.

I've no doubt that all of the bikes he owned were rideable. Maybe some needed a cleaning and some fresh bearings and grease, but all of them could be made to be rideable with very little effort. I wonder whether carbon and aluminum frames will fare as well 100 years on, like those did. Not trying to stir up passions or controversy, just relating a story. These bikes stood the test of time and whatever they were made from, it is impressive. At least to me.
Likes For TugaDude: