View Single Post
Old 06-08-22, 12:51 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by ramones71
I was not planning on buying another bike, or joining this challenge, until I was looking at offerup the other day and spotted this Serotta. After I noticed that it had already been on the site for 2 days, I put in an offer of 60 dollars and it was accepted. Upon pickup, I satisfied myself that the seller was legit and I could proceed with a clear conscience. I also satisified myself that I wasn't totally stealing it either, because the frame is in rough shape: extensive spider webbing on the top tube, a cable guide that would probably have to be replaced if someone were to seriously restore this, and I later found a small dent on the underside of the drive side chainstay. The bike also appears, in my un-knowledgeable opinion to have a Campy drivetrain composed of 3 different generations/groups, and while it functions, it doesn't necessarily want to play well together. I will compose a thread at a later date for all of my Campagnolo related questions surrounding this bike
The serial# indicates that it was made in 1983, and I assume its a Club Special, based on the length of the decal remnants. The seat stay bridge, however is not flat, like I have seen on other 1983 Club Specials, but I don't know what else it might be. The frame is 58cm, and I ride 63cm, but fit is not terrible. I will do 100 miles on this bike in as-found condition. I am currently preparing for a long-distance move, but hopefully I can find time to re-grease the headset and bottom bracket. I will also probably come down to the deadline in getting my miles in. I adjusted the seat post to just above minimum insertion, and I am only an inch shy of my normal seat height. I have a longer post, but I plan on riding this bike at the $60 purchase price for as long as I can. Tires are at the end of their life, but not threadbare, and I don't have any extras available. The sintered Modolo brake pads squeal like pigs, but they stop the bike adequately. I will consider the remaining $48 of the budget an insurance policy for tires and tubes. Thanks!

Never thought anyone would top the clunker Paramount!
Likes For philpeugeot: