Old 12-12-22, 12:31 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
I will admit that I am easy to annoy, but people who come along in an industry that has a history that goes back, say, at least a hundred years and present themselves as the first smart person to address a problem like changing gears on a bicycle are just a bit full of themselves in my opinion. As though every design engineer that came before them was a few french-fries short of a Happy Meal.

I am also bothered by the re-purposing of branding - Jan Heine is NOT Rene Herse, the "new Nivex" may be a fine derailleur but it is not THE Nivex. What people think is a Mini today does a dis-service to the genius of Alex Issigonis who developed the original Mini back in the fifties. The BMW-built Mini has more in common with a VW Rabbit (a design itself copied from the Autobianchi A112 and it's derivitives the Fiat 127 and 128) than the real Mini. Reusing a brand is a marketing ploy to exploit name recognition without having to earn it through inspired design or quality in execution. It dilutes the reputation of those (eg: Rene Herse, Alex Issigonis, Cino Cinelli....the list is long) who were indeed inspired creators.