Old 03-21-24, 08:36 AM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Reed
I got my first bike on 18 March. In the excitement, on the first day, I was riding for about 3 hours. Now my legs ache and it's tough just to sit.
How many hours should I cycle per day as a beginner?
Aching legs and sore arse are par for the course initially. I remember I started "training" for a long charity ride with a group years ago, and after one early 2-3 mile ride, one of my companions referred to "crotch trauma". Once you get some miles in, your lags and behind will become more resilient. However, don't go nuts - one-hours rides initially is fine, IMO. And don't do it every day - don't let it become a chore. Concentrate on building skills that will stand you in good stead over the long term; a nice smooth spin, appropriate use of gearing to maintain that spin - not so low that you're spinning like an egg-beater and blowing up, not so high that you're lactating your thighs - think if your position as you ride, and if it can/should be tweaked to improve comfort, but don't change things willy-nilly - try a position for a couple of weeks and adjust in small increments, then give that new setting a couple of weeks. When you ride a brisk hour and feel nicely tired but not beat up, start extending it. Try to incorporate cycling into your daily routine - commuting if possible, running errands etc - they're all miles
Likes For 13ollocks: