View Single Post
Old 06-08-22, 07:07 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Camilo
Oh yeah, I would think that disc brakes with QR hubs would be a good reason to use the internal cam QRs if there wasn't adequate clamping force with the external ones. I have never owned one (my one and only is thru axle). I just speak from regular rim brake bikes with vertical dropouts front and rear. There's no real force on the QRs requiring exceptional clamping force, and the external ones work fine. Older bikes with horizontal rear drop outs definitely need them because the rear wheel tends to get pulled forward by the chain on the drive side. On my current vintage bike, I not only have to use genuine Campagnolo QRs, I have to force them closed with all my might - and they're tough to release! Couldn't get it with any external QR I tried.
the material of the fastener/nut on the drive side can also make a difference on horizontal dropouts

steel can provide a better 'bite' (into the dropout) - compared to softer aluminum ... aluminum teeth once worn will not bite

I've used Control Tech bolt-on skewers on many of my bikes - including one steel bike with horizontal dropouts

but for the steel bike with horizontal dropouts, I replaced the nut on the drive side with a beefier steel nut

attached pics

Last edited by t2p; 06-08-22 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For t2p: