Old 09-16-22, 07:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I often signal to motorists when I am ready for them to pass. Whether motorists pass on their terms or when I signal that I am ready for them to pass, they will react the same way in #5 and #6 above. Beyond that, I like my chances of reading the whole of the situation well enough to preclude what you pointed out in 5 and 6. I'll also hold up a hand as if to say wait when my read tells me it's not safe.
Exactly .... I am not saying everyone should do this ... as Mr. Eastwood tells us, "A good man knows his limitations ... "

But ....

If I cannot tell when it is safe to signal a car to pass, it would imply that I cannot safely drive a car. And, While i assume many of us lived most of our lives car-free, as I did, I also assume we all learned to drive, drove occasionally, and drive often to get to places to ride too far to ride to ....

So yes, I have no issue deciding what to tell a driver. What the driver decides ... depends on whether s/he is staring at the phone, or the nav screen.