View Single Post
Old 01-02-22, 12:43 PM
j.postema

Bikes: Raleigh Criterium steel bike, Challenge Furai 2x26 recumbent bike, Koga Myata travel bike, Brompton folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lubloi
Clear coats do not protect the frame from rust the same way paint does, primarily because there is no primer. Salty water will seep through microcracks in the clear coat and cause 'rust snakes' under the clear coat (like what you can see in the third picture). The rust will expand the cracks, letting more water and salt in, accelerating the process. What happened to this Brompton is exactly what you would expect to happen to any clear-coated steel bike in a country that uses road salt. I don't know what Brompton were thinking selling the clear coat as an option in the Netherlands - it was a really bad idea.
If I were you, I would take the bike apart, get it sand blasted, and have it powdercoated. Alternatively, you could sand the frame down using sand paper, and give it a rattle can paint job (two coats of zinc-based primer, then paint, then clear coat). After this, the bike will be good for a few more decades of service.
Thanks for your very informative contribution! I never had such a detailed technical explanation which really helps as we were doubting if we did some stupid things ourselves - but it seems it is the coat itself which mainly contributes to the problems.