Old 12-27-17, 08:02 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
Shimano made a number of changes when it redesigned the Alfine 8-speed into an 11-speed hub...but the one that mattered most to me... is I don't have to jab a spoke in a little hole to get the shift cable loose from the hub (which you have to do to remove the wheel).
Actually, you don't have to use the spoke or the tab. You just pull the shift cable forward out of the "cassette joint" and then through the slot. This makes the cable slack enough that it's easily disengaged from the hub. This works equally well with Nexus-7, Nexus-8 and Alfine-11 hubs. It helps if the hub is first shifted to the position with least cable tension.

Originally Posted by ravettb
two or three front cogs
1 rear internal Alfine 8 or 11
To the original question, increasing the cog from 16 teeth ("standard", I think) to 18 teeth gives a nice shift toward lower gears. I have made this switch on my "winter" bike, a Dahon Mu XL that has a Nexus-8 hub. The lower gearing is helpful riding through deeper snow.
Steve