Old 05-24-22, 08:53 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,818 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Incorrect. Why are a few people having such a hard time understanding that the "primary function" of a multi-function tool is a matter of individual opinion and priority?
The radar and red light on my current version are there to keep me safe/alive by alerting cars to my presence with the light, and alerting me to car's presence with the radar/display/beep. It has no other purpose. If you add a camera that Garmin has specced as being adequate for the purpose of recording traffic events behind you, it is not unreasonable to assume that the "primary function" is safety (and ID-ing violators of your safety) rather than an entertainment device.

I understand the complaints about it not being better as an action cam, and I wish it was, even though I have zero interest in using it that way myself. I still have the rectangular version, and haven't felt compelled to upgrade because it works perfectly fine (although I augment the light with a Cygolite). When Forrest posted this, my first reaction was that I wanted one. But having seen the limits of a forward-facing 1080p cam, even with image stabilization, I have decided to wait it out until gen 2.

It's a safety device first and foremost; evaluating it as a social media data collecting device strikes me as a bit unfair to Garmin.