View Single Post
Old 10-20-19, 08:09 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by ForMyBoys
Follow up from the OP just in case someone in the future is looking for a solution to this problem:

I would like to thank you for the support and advise received, and apologize for not replying sooner. I did try a recumbent, but did not particularly like it, so I just abandoned all things bikes for 6 months. After getting clearance from my doctor to resume riding as long I was using a seat with some sort of prostate relief; I tried several different seats with a cutout, slit, grove... all of them resulted in discomfort after several miles of riding. I suspect that some of this problem was also mental - the thought of a saddle nose re injuring things or causing other problems. So I researched nose-less saddles and despite the mixed reviews decided to give one a try. I went with the type that is two individual pads - one under each sit bone, there are several of these on the market all of them seem to put all of your weight on sit bones and none on your perineal area.

It works - I can ride for miles without any discomfort down below. It did take a while to adjust, I ended up raising my handle bars up slightly (6 degree stem to a 15 degree stem - equivalent reach), I would consider my position mildly aggressive with my bars about level with my saddle. Having a seatpost that is able to micro adjust is useful - the angle of the seat makes a big difference and it took me a lot of little adjustments to get it comfortable. I am still getting used to not having a nose on the saddle - while I would not say that I don't feel safe, I don't feel as in control as I used to. With that being said - I am using this on my commuting bike (Salsa Vaya), I am not racing, I live in the flat lands of south jersey so I am not descending anything technical. On my rides which are mostly flat and straight it works fine, your mileage may vary. Even with raising my handlebars, there is definitely more weight on my hands and arms - I have been working on my core strength and it seems to be helping. While I don't think that this type of saddle is for everybody it has allowed me to get back on a bike and enjoy riding again. If you are racing or doing technical riding this might not be the saddle for you, but for touring, commuting, cruising ... if you are in the same position I was it might be worth trying out.
Good to read that you found a seat that works. What manufacturer/saddle did you finally decide to buy?