Old 11-19-22, 11:50 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad1376
If the goal is project and not profit, then by all means, have some fun. In it's current state, that doesn't seem like a bike anyone would want. It could be satisfying making it something someone else might appreciate. I think the hardest part would be finding the "right" buyer.
Yeah, she's a total pig and languished on Marketplace for weeks at $40 then last week he offered it for free. I have a few Gitane and Peugeot project bikes so I figured for free it was worth going after for the derailleurs and I'm hoping that Nervar 1011 crankset is on a French threaded BB and not Swiss as I am in need of one for another bike. The FD turned out to be a zinc plated Shimano replacement so that was a let down but the RD is a Simplex SX410GT long cage that I needed. Turned out the bike was only 3 blocks down the street from where I work so no real investment in it other than a few minutes and a cup or two of gas, it was the opposite direction I normally go but the RD made it worth going so "far" out of my way.

Even when the market around here was good and I could flip a few bikes to bankroll my velo addiction I wouldn't have given this a second thought as a flip but it's so pathetic looking I feel a need to give it a 2nd chance. It is TOTALLY a project, I have no delusions of even breaking even on it, my usual modus operandi is "buy high, sell low" LOL, plus I've had the parts long enough they're pretty much a write off now anyway. I just want to see what I can do with it and keep it out of the scrap pile if I can. As far as the "right buyer" goes, being as tall as I am that's always the case for me when selling one of my bikes to make room for the next project, sometimes it takes a couple years to get one sold and sometimes ones I thought would be a tough sell got snapped up right away. You just never know.

This old Schwinn was given to me with some other bikes, I didn't take a before pic but it was NASTY, it was so filthy I honestly thought it was brown not red and I couldn't see any point in keeping it. I was literally almost to the curb with but just as I was crossing the sidewalk that little voice told me to go ahead and see how it would clean up. I turned around and tore into it and it didn't turn out too bad. It sold in 3 days and I had 3 people wanting it. I even made a nice profit after putting new tires tubes and cable on it. I still don't understand what the attraction was but sometimes that's how it goes.