Old 01-26-23, 08:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by wallHax
Fair enough. But would it make a noticeable difference to the curious cyclist? I do run my Panaracers tubeless and the price of admission is steep.
Money no object, yes i defo would run them immediately. However, if i were to run them with inner tubes, would i even benefit from thei "supposedly" supple casing?
In reverse order, until late last year the Compass tires were mostly tube-ful; people trying tubeless reported the sidewalls were too porous, or had to be refilled with sealant shortly after installation. The marketing materials and people who believed them were still full of praise for the casing. So go ahead and try it with a tube (if you decide to try them at all).

I think it's worth asking how sensitive you are to various tires' construction? If the lightest Gravelking feel like the heaviest Schwalbe Marathon to you, you're not likely to notice how nice the Compass tires might be. OTOH if a Gravelking SK is intolerably heavier and slower than the straight Gravelking, then you might appreciate the Compass tires. I won't go so far as to say the difference between tires is all a placebo based on marketing, but riders' expectations seem to factor heavily into their experiences.

Disclaimer: my Barlow Pass pair is still in the box since Christmas, waiting for a chance and some decent weather to ride some gravel.