View Single Post
Old 10-27-21, 06:17 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
One thing that comes into play when it comes to the various shimmys folks blame completely on the load is the rider themself. There is phenomenon called pilot-induced oscillations in aircraft and the effect also occurs with bicycles. The shimmy that folks talk about in bikes is the same thing. I can't help but notice that among the riders I know there are some that never seem to have a problem with this no matter the setup and some that seem to have a problem with every bike they own at some point.

I always intuitively felt that I could avoid the shimmys or suppress them when they started but didn't fully get why until a pilot friend observed that they were PIOs and likely have a large rider component in their cause.

The wikipedia page on PIOs says "Pilot-induced oscillations may be the fault of the aircraft, the pilot, or both. It is a common problem for inexperienced pilots, and especially student pilots, although it was also a problem for the top research test pilots on the NASA lifting body program". Knowing that there is a pilot responsible portion of the cause may allow some to short circuit the feedback loop that causes the shimmy.

I am not suggesting that folks not try to use a setup that is reasonably balanced and carries the load sensibly, but understanding that there is a rider component and how that happens might help avoid it. Reading a little about how PIOs occur may help avoid them.
Likes For staehpj1: