Thread: Bafang question
View Single Post
Old 10-28-21, 09:37 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
I installed a BBSHD a couple months ago and still getting used to it. I’d prefer that it had torque sensing as the cadence sensing feels very crude. It has gobs of power which invites throttle use as it kicks on too hard in power settings above the lowest setting. I’ll start off in the lowest power setting then move it higher when approaching steep hills. This is all off road and trail use. If I start off in a higher power setting and the front tire is at an angle I’m shooting off in that direction. A lot of times I start out pedaling with the brake slightly depressed which cuts the motor and when I’m in a straight line I’ll release the lever and zoom I’m off. Imagine riding to a stop on a dirt road then makimg a tight slow U turn to go back. I can’t do that with assist on. Looks like I’m going to learn how to program it. It’s been a long time since I’ve ridden an ebike before this but what I have now is a motorcycle more than a bicycle. I like it otherwise I couldn’t get around the ridge I live on but it feels crude.
Not sure if you do this already, but I'd suggest using throttle for starting from stop, and for all low speed maneuvering. Get up some speed before starting to peddle so the crude peddle assist isn't jarring when it kicks in. It can be dangerous when you start peddling and motor kicks in. I found that out the first time I approached an intersection on my Bafang rear hub drive kit bike. I was coasting to a stop on slight uphill, and gave it one last half peddle to get to my desired stopping point. The peddle assist kicked in and would have thrust me into traffic had I not grabbed the brake, which cut motor power instantly.