Old 03-21-23, 05:34 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
How old are you out there risking life and limb mtbing?

Have to admit that for the years, I loved the challenge, the exhilaration, the constant learning and the danger of mountain biking. One of the drivers was getting away from inattentive drivers. Unfortunately after a non-related back injury, I had to give it up since it only aggravated it. Those were good years and helped by road bike handling skills, so all is not lost. Enjoy you 71 YO.
Yeah, thanks. I hope to continue for quite a few years, but we don't get any guarantees. I am pretty good at falling safely when I do fall and minimizing injuries, also I have good bone density so that helps. With cars and hard surfaces I have had more serious injuries on than off road over the decades. Also where I am we aren't blessed with many long downhills so high speed crashes are less likely here. It is little ups and downs over roots and ruts on the more technical stuff here on my part of the Florida panhandle. We do have more hills than you'd expect for Florida, but it is still Florida. There are actually a few really steep grades here, but never real long and the ones on my regular rides are short.

My dad had a poodle take out his front wheel when he was 78 (on a country road). He broke his collar bone, healed quickly, and was back on the bike as soon as a youngster. I figure he might not have crashed if he had developed and maintained better bike handlng skills with some mountain biking. So just maybe I'll break fewer bones by mountain biking.
Likes For staehpj1: