View Single Post
Old 05-11-22, 12:45 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
No, you do not generally have to say "disc brake" if you know the context. And you don't always have to specify shifter/brake.

But sometimes you DO have to specify the type of brake, thus there are different names for them..... and sometimes you DO have to specify the type of shifter, thus there are different names for them.

That's the thing about language. It is often contextual. If one is an a context where it might not be clear what sort of shifters you have, "brifters" clears that up.

New words are added to vocabulary when they have a use such as streamlining communication or adding clarity. Folks can accept that or they can yell at the clouds.
Brifter doesn't clear anything up.

If I call up a shop and say "I broke my right side brifter - can you order me a new one?" they're going to respond with the exact same questions as if I called them up and said "I broke my right side shifter - can you order me a new one?".

Brifter adds absolutely nothing.

If I call up a shop and say "I broke my right side GRX800 shifter" they'll know exactly what I'm talking about. If I say "I broke my right side GRX800 brifter" they'll probably make fun of me first, then know exactly what I'm talking about.
Likes For msu2001la: