View Single Post
Old 03-03-18, 02:19 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rockthisworld
Hi world my name is Nick nice to meet you. I am new to bike commuting and slowly working to transition to a car free lifestyle once I move 10 miles from work in June. My reasoning is to get in shape, save money, and have less negative impact on the enviorment.

I need some advice, words of encouragement etc that could help me on my 2018 journey. Thank you all. Can't wait to build some awesome friendships with a community of people who love to bike.
Hi Nick,

An essential question, IMO for Car-Free / Car-Light Living is “Where do you live?"
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Boston is probably one of the most Car-free cities in the world, and having a car is often detrimental. We live near the transportation hub of Kenmore Square. Our easily accessible Car-free / Car-light modalities at home and work are:
  • subway and Commuter Rail
  • taxis and Uber
  • car rentals, including Zipcar
  • shopping and personal services within walking distances
  • a convenient place to stay overnight at work
  • my cycle commutes are on pleasant routes in the reverse of the usual commuting direction.
I’ve been an avid cyclist for decades, so that and other Car-free transportation is fine with me. I posted to this thread on LCF, "What's awesome about Living Car Free": ….
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
And I have equally pleasant driving and mass transit alternatives…Sometime ago I tried to schematically diagram the comparisons between my three transportation modes:

Overall Satisfaction:
BIKE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TRAIN>>>CAR

Intensity of Focus:
BIKE>>>CAR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TRAIN

Convenience:
CAR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BIKE>>TRAIN
You’ll find many different viewpoints, often on long posts, and many disputed with great enthusiasm, but I'm an infrequent poster.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I hope I do not come across as combative (I have that tendency at times.) I truly appreciate your rational criticism of my posts. I find it helpful.
Originally Posted by cooker
It's all done in good will. Cheers.
Consider also the Commuting Forum on BF as a resource.