View Single Post
Old 03-07-18, 05:18 AM
rockthisworld

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I do feel bad for the guy who came here looking for some practical advice and some encouragement.

The OP did wonder whether he should hold onto the car in case LCF doesn't work for him. Another idea, OP, is to go ahead and sell the car. Put the money in the bank, and for a couple months put the money you didn't spend on auto insurance in the bank also. After a few months, decide whether you want to remain carfree or not. If you don't want to, use the bank money to buy a new car and insurance. If you do decide to stay carfree, spend the money on something awesome.

Anyhoo, for me personally LCF is neither a hardship attainable only by saints, or a state of being wanted only by pathetic losers. It's just the way some of us choose to live, purely out of preference. I have been carfree for much of my life, a total of 30 years or more. In that time I have maintained a good full-time job, raised a family, and put myself through college and grad school. In addition I'v enjoyed the hell out of myself--thousands of awesome bike rides, walks, and even bus trips. In no way was being LCF ever a compromise, a sacrifice or a sell-out. It has always been a wonderful way to live for me, and I think for many other people also.
I really appreciate this. Im going to hold my car and try going car free for a few months and if successful then will probably sell my car. I just have really no enjoyment from driving anymore to be honest. Nothing but anxiety riden, and money consuming impact on the enviorment.