View Single Post
Old 09-10-21, 05:38 AM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bh85
I have 2020 Renegade C2 Gray/Blue/White/Black, which is exactly the same frame as 2021 C2. They didn't update that carbon frame for some time. Bike came with 40's. 40's will fit but that's about it. There isn't much space with 40's. Now I have 35's on it and its a good balance for everything that I ride. Work fine with 43mm Planet Bike fenders. 2021's comes with 37c tires which are more reasonable for that frame. I always thought 40's was pushing it. Bike rides nice and I like it. Its not super light or anything but of course much lighter than steel Renegade by like 5 lbs.

I also had 2020 Renegade Expat Gray on which I had 43's. and there was even more space to fit maybe 45's. I know you can do 650's on that frame as well. Never had fenders on steel model so I'm not sure as far as whats the biggest tire with fenders, but I think you could do 38's with fenders. Jamis steel was pretty heavy. Once I installed pedals, under seat bag with tools, bottle cages, etc, it was like 27 28 lbs. Steel rides nice but you might have to put more effort if you are used to riding lighter bikes. At the same time, the steel model wasn't made to be fast or light. It was made for casual riding and it had plenty mounts and space for bigger tires if you go bikepacking. Decent bike for gravel. Now if you want to throw some smaller tires and still have ability to put some larger tires, then I would probably go with Topstone 1 or Checkpoint. These bikes will be lighter than steel and would suit you better if you are looking for that balance between road/gravel.
Thanks for your answers. I'm not a weight weenie, but that was a concern. My current road bike is alloy and is probably 22ish lb., maybe a little more. My hope was for something in that ballpark when I put on road wheels but with the capability (and durability) to handle fatter tires for gravel/bikepacking. Sounds like the Renegade might not be that bike, unfortunately. Good price, though.