View Single Post
Old 11-25-22, 09:10 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Can't get my rear derailleur tuned.

I'm trying my hand at setting up the most complicated part of the bicycle that I'm putting together - the rear derailleur. Using the Park Tool video on this, I think that I've set the high limit screw - I can force the shift from 2nd smallest cog to 1st by turning the H-limit screw while cranking, plus the pulley seems to be inline with the smallest cog. However, my indexing is going nowhere. On this 9spd cassette, I start tuning at the smallest cog. It all goes fine as I make my way up the cassette, until I try to tune the shift from 7th to 8th cog. To make that shift, I have to turn the barrel adjustor (BA) so much that the system will no longer shift from the 2nd cog back to the 1st again. After I turn the BA back enough so that the chain shifts back to the smallest cog (#1), it ruins the shift from #7 to #8 again. Is anything discernible from this description?