View Single Post
Old 02-29-08, 08:23 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcavana
Sure you can search for it all over the place, but here it is in one spot. Calling everyone who has cyclo toured before... If you started touring all over again, what would you tell yourself? what would your bike setup look like? what kind of racks and paniers would be best? What camping gear would your recomend?

Help our new-bees out!!!!

Mike
My first bit of advice would be to get out there and do it, on whatever bike you have, so you can see if you like it. Or borrow a bike, if yours isn't suitable. As long as your bike makes it without any serious breakdowns, and you can bring enough stuff so you don't freeze or starve to death or get soaked, you should have a great time if you're born to be a tourer. But it isn't for everyone.

My second tip is one I recommend to all tourers, no matter how experienced, and that I follow myself. That is to bring a notebook on tours and take notes about what works and what doesn't - what you are glad you brought, what you wish you had brought, and what you could do without. It's much easier to know when you're out there doing it than it is two weeks after you get home and the impressions are starting to blur.

If you decide you like touring and want to invest in a good rig, get the best one you can afford. Get a dedicated touring bike with reliable components and strong wheels. Get one that fits you well and get a comfortable saddle - one you can sit on all day, day after day. Get really low gears - consider switching out the granny gear if it isn't low enough. You'll be so glad you did when climbing a really long, steep hill, like a mountain pass. Get high quality racks and high quality panniers. You don't necessarily have to get the best to enjoy your tour; you can get "2nd tier" panniers that will be excellent for quite awhile. Get some good, lightweight camping gear - sacrifice a little comfort for light weight, but also realize what comforts you need to stay happy. Make sure your tent won't leak in a downpour. Get some good raingear that you can cycle in.

Don't skimp on anything important - save your money until you have enough to get something that will do the job you want it to. If you settle for less than what you want, you'll just end up getting it eventually anyway, and spending more money in the long run.

Read this forum - there are some pretty experienced people sharing ideas. Ask questions about the choices you're considering in terms of equipment and techniques. People here will have opinions, and there will be some very valuable ones.