View Single Post
Old 04-18-22, 09:25 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I would put the money towards a new bike of quality, avoid mechanical brakes (unless building a custom bike with Paul Klampers because you are balleur like that) and tourney and try and find forks that use air rather than springs (unless it is a high end spring fork but those are few and far between). Used bikes can be fun but you have to know what you are getting into if the fork needs service or the bike is in rough shape or something you may not have the knowledge to notice right away or the seller may not divulge that info or know themselves. A new bike will get you all the warranties and service yes you will probably be spending around 1200 on up to get all the decent features but you will have a capable machine that is potentially worth upgrading in the long term rather than just looking at new bikes each time. The Chisel from Specialized is a great option for a decently high end aluminum frame with reasonable components on it and $1600. It is 12 speed Deore with a RS Judy fork and boost wheels so modern and easy to upgrade but totally ready to roll out of the box (or shop).

Plus with the used market right now it is a sellers market so people are asking the moon for some of this stuff and getting it no problems. Not that bike prices at a shop have been going down they haven't but at least again with the new bike you get warranty and say with Specialized if you register your bike after you purchase you have a lifetime warranty on that frame so 11 years down the road when your bottom bracket cracks they will send you a new frame or potentially a new bike depending on the situation as they did in my case (and no you won't necessarily crack your B.B. it is just my specific example of a fluke that happened to me) I would say that is worth the price of admission alone as I can ride it and not worry so much because I know they will have my back on the frame plus whatever warranties come with other components.