WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Thought I'd share a good luck story.

Some time ago, there was a thread about where cyclists keep their cell phone when riding. I've always been in the camp who keeps my phone in my right side jersey pocket and never had an issue.

The other day, I was on a gravel ride with one particular 4.5 mile stretch that I've been on probably 4 times. This section is closed to public car traffic - gated off so cars can't pass through. Up until this ride, I may have seen someone else maybe once or twice. Well, at around the 2 mile mark, I hit one of those sharp bumps that made me wish I wasn't sitting directly on the saddle (!!). At precisely that moment, two joggers approached me from the other direction and one yelled out "your cell phone fell out of your pocket". If we were off by 10 seconds, probably less, they wouldn't have noticed and I wouldn't have noticed until who knows when as I didn't feel it slip out of my pocket nor did I hear it hit the ground.

So, I'll probably still keep my cell phone in my jersey pocket, at least on paved rides, but my confidence has been shaken!
indeed, a very fortunate misfortune. Hopefully, the phone was ok.

i bought an apple watch 3-4 years ago so i don’t usually carry an actual phone most of the time.
Likes For WinterCommuter: