Old 07-02-22, 02:35 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
There was a story many years back of a Lear jet that disappeared around Christmas time while attempting to fly into Lebanon, NH to PU a family to fly them on vacation. Plane never made it and it was a good 2 years before they found it NE of Lebanon in deep woods on a hillside. The NTSB investigation indicated the pilots were relying too much on a newly installed GPS that they had very little familiarity with in flight conditions, they subsequently lost track of position and altitude, flew into a mountain at 250 MPH. And there have been countless stories of motorists that drive up an Oregon dirt road (or something similar) into snow and get stuck, while following the directions Google Maps is giving them. A lot of people have no idea how it all works and why it sometimes doesn't, including pilots, who should know better.
I was going to mention we had a trucker disappear for about 2 weeks due to his truck’s GPS system malfunctioning and sending him up a road where I wouldn’t even take my worst 4X4 in the heat of summer. He ended up getting stuck in the mud and snow about 20 miles outside of town and walked out on the very road system the GPS said to take. The Dispatch GPS showed the truck 60 miles in the opposite direction so we (SAR) we’re looking for him in the complete wrong area.