Old 01-03-14, 12:37 PM
adefeatedman

Bikes: 2012 Giant Defy 1, 2013 Giant Revel 29er 0, Ritchey Road Logic custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by inspclouseau
Why fork mount for roof tops? Seems like extra work needlessly?
I had both, and can say that the fork mount seems far more secure. The bike seemed to move around a bit with the frame mounted rack.

I currently have 2 Thule fork mounted Echelon bike trays on a roof rack of my sedan. It removes easily with the help of a second person and I store it away during winter or when I am going on a long drive and don't want the wind noise and loss of mpgs. Otherwise, I prefer the roof rack because my bike does not fit easily in my car (need to put seats down and really wiggle it in there) and I still have use of the interior of my car. I drive a Saab and there are no reasonably priced trailer hitches available for it (awd model 9-3)

I would like to find a rack to use with my old hatchback Camaro. I see someone on the internet used a Saris Bones, but he had to get creative with the attachment points. I am thinking about the Saris Gran Fondo, though. Because it is higher up, it would be easier to hook onto my car. Not sure about how secure it is, though.