View Single Post
Old 06-07-22, 06:36 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
At some point they started selling bikes called "Paramount Design Group", or PDG. They still said Paramount on the frame but they were produced in Asia. Maybe that's what Seeds was referring to. After they sold the name Schwinn the small shop in Wisconsin where the Paramounts were made became Waterford and they eventually released the Gunnar branded frames as a lower priced option.
Gives me an excuse to post this pic. It was cold up there and the little streams of water crossing the road while I was climbing were frozen when I went back down.
91 was the first year for that. Mine is a 92.
Yes. Mine is a Panasonic Paramount. Or Japanamount. But Waterford was producing steel Paramounts in that timeframe too. The Schwinn purists say the Waterford's were a higher quality build(made in the USA). The less pure can be heard preferring the ride of the PDG. I have only ridden the PDG so I can't comnent. This was my second Panasonic Schwinn--the World Voyageur was the other. They are both top notch rides.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 06-07-22 at 06:50 PM.