View Single Post
Old 08-15-22, 02:28 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I'm not tall (175 cm), but I am skinny (64 kg), so my experiences tend to be in the XS and S sizes where strap length can really make a difference as they're sized for shorter people. I've gone through a lot of different brands in search of a perfect fit, all at sale prices that put most of them in the $75-175 range with a few exceptions.

The bibs I have that are actually long in both inseam and have plenty of give in the shoulders are Voler, La Passione, 7mesh, and MAAP. All use good variable thickness Elastic Interface pads.

Meanwhile my Castelli, Assos, and Q36.5 bib shorts are on the short side, even though one of my Assos is the longer inseam version. Castelli was the worst in terms of needing to size up (to M) because the straps dug in (and the M still digs). I don't get on with their chamois either. Assos straps are also not that stretchy, the chamois is great and probably the best of all brands I've tried (no butt soreness after riding 1-day Seattle to Portland) but it always feels like the bibs are giving my a wedgie. I've only worn the Q36.5 bibs once and they chafed enough to leave a spot on my thigh in less than 2 hours of riding. I may need to give them another chance because up until I felt a sudden painful spot on my leg, I thought they were pretty comfortable.

I only have experience with the Rapha Classic line of bibs, which definitely have stretchy straps and thick chamois, but I'm not a big fan of the Classic chamois on long rides. I don't find it to be as good as Elastic Interface.

One last brand I have that didn't even make it past a trial on the indoor trainer were De Soto bibs with their "300 mile" chamois. Like the Rapha Classic line but even thicker chamois that was way too wide and caused nearly instant chafing.