Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 08-17-22, 08:56 PM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 9 Posts
I picked up an incredible deal on an older Japanese track bike and both the wheels are tubs.

On my other bike, another old Japanese track bike, I run Conti Gatorskin tubs in the rear and they seem really durable. Even with heavy city riding they've lasted for years.

I haven't decided if I want to sell or keep the new bike. The wheels are Suzue Pro Max high flange hubs with Wolber Super Champion Aubisque tubular rims. I love the look of them.

If I keep this bike, it will be lightly ridden. But again, I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it. Regardless, I'm not spending $60 per wheel on tubulars.

2 questions....

-Here is a link to the Wolbers. https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...m=107&AbsPos=2
Am I going to have any issues trying to do a 25mm tubular on these rims or should I stick with 23mm? They're just a really small profile rim.

-Is there any current tubulars that are somewhat decent that I can pick up for less than $100 a set? I'm tempted to just throw on Panaracer Trainers or Vittoria Rally that I could get for $75 a set. If I bump my budget up to $100 (for a pair), is there anything significantly better?

Thanks.

Last edited by Regulatori; 08-17-22 at 09:06 PM.