View Single Post
Old 05-15-22, 08:01 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
This reminds me of a kid at Mikwaukee Super Week circa 1977. He was 15-16 yrs old, a Junior from Colorado. With his dark skin I thought he was of Mexican descent. He was terribly shy, slight build, barely spoke a word. He was staying down the hall from my buddy and I at the infamous MSOE dorms. Whenever we saw him we would say, "Alex,(he was introduced to us as Alexi) Allexx how you doin Alllexxx". Drawing out his name, just trying to get him to smile, lighten up a bit.
Although there were Junior races daily, he only raced a few times during the week. But when he raced, and we'd see him out in the hallway waiting for the elevator, he was dressed like a little pro racer. Fresh vlean gloves, shined shoes, white socks with WC stripes, and his jersey in Italian colors. Topped of with a Danish patent leather helmet. Fresh white tape on his bars and full Campy equipped Italian bike. This kid looked sharp. We were like, "Who is this kid"? He looked more put together than most of the Seniors I raced with.
Well, 7 years later at the Olympics in LA, that shy well dressed Alllexxx would take the Gold medal in the mens road race....Alexi Grewal
Likes For big chainring: