Old 08-01-12, 08:54 AM
H.S.Clydesdale

Bikes: 2013 KHS 747 (by Lennard Zinn), 1987 Nishiki Sport, 1983 Sanwa 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3speed
The thread isn't too old. This is the C&V section with old stuff, isn't it.
I submit, we create new forum section for classic and vintage threads. As I am sure we all agree the horizontal top tube and steel construction of the late seventies threads were the best.

And is that matching leather bar wrap to go with a nice leather seat?
Not really. It is Deda Elementi "leather" tape. I think "leather" refers to the color, as it is in no way leather.
http://www.dedaelementi.com/index.ph...mid=94&lang=en

How do you like the hub gearing/gear-spacing?
Well, I love it, but I am coming from a single speed so I may not have the most informed opinion on gearing. I might like it to have larger jumps between gears, as I am often switching up two or three gears at once. I think a five speed with 400% gear range would suit me best. I think the nexus 7 is 270%, and I am mostly on the top, bottom, or very middle gears. Maybe I should switch to three chainrings and a single cog?? Nah, I like the IGH. Shifting at a stop and the clean lines of a missing derailer are, in fact, the bees knees. The nexus 7 is very smooth and quiet. The perfect balance between fixed gear heaven, and touring bike versatility. The hub is a little hesitant to shift if you have pressure on it, but not a huge problem. I compare that to my car's transmission, which would, of course, completely bust if I tried to shift under power without a clutch. (new idea: twist grip clutch for IGH like on motorbikes) I think the hub is light enough. I am 230lbs, so suffice it to say, I am not worried about weight saving coming from the bike. I also have a huge 38c Armadillo tire on the rear, which seems to add a bunch of weight, and the rim seems to be made of lead. However, it all makes for a nice cush ride.

So many of you have such nice bikes in this style. I'm starting to worry that I'm gonna end up spending a lot more on this bike than I planned for a 7+ geared hub and leather seat and bar wrap. Then after that I'll be watching for a nice tubular wheel-set. Then... This might be a problem if I decide I like the IGH road bike.
Do it! peer pressure: Its hard to find someone on a bike forum opposed to spending more money on a bike. But I can say that IGH road bike is not a contradiction, rather it is a very nice thing indeed.

Last edited by H.S.Clydesdale; 08-01-12 at 08:58 AM.