View Single Post
Old 08-12-22, 10:18 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Tell me what I'm missing, if anything. I use my iPhone and RWGPS for navigation on brevets. I download the route pre-ride, to conserve battery and possible poor cell reception. Coupled with the standard paper cue sheet as back-up, it has worked flawlessly. I have an old Garmin touring + that I basically use as a glorified bike computer now. I initially went with the touring plus for its bigger screen, but even then it wasn't big enough (even with readers in my cycling glasses). I know the Garmin/Wahoo can do other things like cadence, power etc, but as of now, I'm not interested in that. Again, what am I missing out on that could improve the experience?
If it works for you, your approach is fine. Basically, the two approaches (using a phone or using a dedicated device) are the same (both are computers with maps and a GPS).

Having a dedicated device has a few advantages: better battery life, better default weather resistance, smaller, somewhat more convenient, better handling if you go off-course, possibly better screen readability.

With a dedicated device (the Garmins certainly), you can also keep multiple routes (that you can access without the internet). That is, one could have "bail-out" routes available for your brevet.

I'm not sure how well the RWGPS app deals with getting lost or going off course or detours.

There's also a monthly cost to RWGPS (there is not for other devices).

Whatever you use, it needs to work without cell-reception (you already know that).

Originally Posted by gif4445
...I initially went with the touring plus for its bigger screen,...
Bigger than what?

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-12-22 at 10:24 AM.