View Single Post
Old 08-12-22, 11:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
If your phone is bright enough to see on a sunny day, great. My low budget Android phone is not.

Use what works, there are a lot of options.

I do not use a cycling GPS, I use a general recreation GPS that runs off of a pair of AA batteries, Garmin 64. It will run over 13 hours on fully charged 2450 mah NiMH rechargeable batteries with screen on full time, backlight off. With backlight on full, that is down to about 6 hours. I am not interesting in upgrading to something else. I am not trying to convince others to use it, just pointing out that there are lots of options including a low budget one, as long as you can buy a handlebar mount for it.

There are a lot of places west of my community (Madison WI) that have no cell coverage, so if you are using a phone mapping or navigation app anywhere near my community, it should be configured for off-line use. I have not tried to use Maps.Me (an Android app) on my bike, but it is an app where you can download maps ahead of time and use off-line. I have occasionally used that app for car navigation with my data plan turned off. I do not know if that app is available for Apple phones, I assume it is.