View Single Post
Old 11-29-22, 03:44 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Do you take the same approach with your car's motor oil?
No. See my response above.

I don't know what you're running and how much you ride per year, but my Shimano 11sp bike chews through RD cables much more often than once a year...So I am either changing them ahead of time or after single-speeding home after a failure. And regarding your last sentence, above: when the cable fails, it fails very suddenly. No "evidence of wear" -- it just misses a few shifts and then stops working.

2 Fat Bikes, 2 Mountain Bikes, 2 Road Bikes and a hybrid bike. I average about 4,000 miles/per year between my two mountain bikes, fat bike and my road bike. The other fat bike, road bike and hybrid bike are the girls and she averages about 2000 miles/ year. I have yet to change any cables/housing on any of the bikes.

My 2016 hardtail has a Shimano 11 speed setup. SLX shifter and XT derailleur. Still using the same cable and housing that came on the bike in 2016. If you are chewing through RD cables more than once a year I'm thinking you don't have something set up properly. Sounds like the cable housing bends are too tight.

Last edited by prj71; 11-29-22 at 03:51 PM.