View Single Post
Old 08-30-22, 05:36 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 2,031 Times in 577 Posts
Oy, these comments are interesting. I had a cardiac workup lately, because of some funny metrics (EKG, blood pressure, etc.) I went through all this about 10 years ago and the cardiologists pronounced me healthy, but I'm still going to get it checked out again. The BP is especially interesting, as it is low to normal when I take it at home, high when I take it in the doc office, even with the same device.

In the past, I didn't ride with a heart monitor, but after my last crash, my kids thought I needed an upscale "I've fallen and I can't get up" device, so they got me one of those watches that measures such things. The metrics are wild. Resting heart rate of 47 and heart rate that is regularly in the 165-170 range for minutes at a time when I am climbing. It actually spiked to 189 once, and I felt fine. The watch has also detected super low heart rates when I'm sleeping ... 36!

So back to the cardiologist I go. But every time I see them, they express little concern. I get the idea that people like ourselves are out of the norm, and since we are outwardly healthy (lots more than their typical patient), they don't get too excited about anything. I'd love to find one that is expert in matters like this. At my last appointment, he asked if I had any questions. I brought up A-fib (it is hitting a lot of endurance cyclists I know, and I've seen the literature ... it is not uncommon). He told me he has several patients with it ... all cyclists.

I just ride by how I feel, but I'm now wondering if that is wise. I suppose at least it will be a quick death. lol