View Single Post
Old 09-02-21, 07:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I'm trying again to get used to my Take-a-Look mirror. I have it mounted on my helmet. I bought it because I have a friend with a tandem and I thought it might make it easier for me to see past her than turning to look. Maybe I should try it on my glasses, but since the point is to have a view as far out to the left as possible, I figured helmet was better.When riding on my own, I'd rather not use one and have to worry about it and risk losing it (I don't want it permanently mounted to my helmet, so it's on the visor sort of precariously and reinforced with paper medical tape-- IOW, not very robust), and it's not as difficult to turn and look behind when on my own. But I'll try wearing it when on my own to get used to it.I can't say I can get used to it. I can get it adjusted... but then it only works with one very specific head position. I found myself spending a lot of time moving my head around trying to get to the exact position I had adjusted the mirror to. I figured that was more dangerous than just turning to look quickly. Also, this time around, I've discovered that yeah, I can see out of it... barely. If I cant my eyes all the way to the side so I'm practically using my peripheral vision. Maybe I need to adjust it in a certain way so I can turn my head a bit and see more out of the front of my eye.The other problem I find is that to get it into the correct position, I have to have it in 'portrait' orientation. I can't figure out a way to adjust it so I can use it in 'landscape' orientation instead, which I would much prefer.And finally, having to keep adjusting it. "Aha, think I got it. Oops, nope, not quite right. How about now? Nope."Her other captain also put a bar-end mirror on, but I've not even tried that yet. We would have to be riding for me to be able to adjust that, and I just don't want to be looking at the mirror rather than the road, especially with only one hand on the handlebars (because the other will be fiddling with the mirror). That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
I agree it takes some time getting used to it. dug up some mirror pics yesterday. maybe you can glean something helpful about setup from them

Likes For rumrunn6: