Old 09-08-22, 09:00 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I always love the "but everyone else does it" mentality when someone is complaining about getting a speeding ticket.
First note: Where I live no one gives/gets speeding tickets unless a robot catches you speeding through a school zone. It is literally a free-for-all wild-wild-west situation. Always has been, it's cultural. That said, I USUALLY drive right on the speed limit, even in 20 mph zones. However, since there is zero enforcement there are times on the freeway where driving right on the speed limit is a pretty serious hazard. So if I feel like traffic is doing 80 in a 60, I kick it up to 70. What makes high speed driving safer is EVERYBODY driving the exact same speed, no passing. I can't control the rest of the world, only me. So I do what I feel is the safest at the moment, not what some mindless sign reads. Facts on the ground baby. And I've never had a moving violation. I'm 63yo been driving since 15.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I suggested he get sunglasses or pull off and park until he could see where he was going because I could see just fine.
So you corrected ONE motorist, assuming he obeyed your suggestion. But guess what? There are millions of motorists out there, many, many of which have filthy windshields, imperfect eyesight, no/cheap sunglasses, and drive in challenging conditions i.e., rising and setting sun. Guess what else? Not even ONE OF THEM is going to wait for the sun angle to change before continuing on.

I don't know where you live, or if Nirvana is inside your head alone, but you better adjust to facts on the ground, how other people act behind the wheel, or you certainly run up the odds of becoming just one more BikeForums obituary in A&S. Adapting to the REAL WORLD that I cannot control is how I got to be old.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 09-08-22 at 12:17 PM.