Old 07-15-16, 04:59 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I agree completely. We should encourage the whole spectrum as well because really, what we do is a minute percentage of what most others do.
That some people think E biking is only partial exercise compared to the full exercise that manual biking offers misses the point that most (adult North Americans at least) do no exercise. Partial is better than none in my books. As well, once you get past the modus operandi argument, all the other benefits of bike touring come into place. Cheap transportation, fresh air, visceral experience of the landscape etc...

As an example, I just looked up renting a small motor home for two (converted van style) for 7 days from Vancouver to Calgary: $2270.20, not including gas and extra Km fees. Add to that RV camp site fees and you are at $3000+ easy.

If you could buy a tour capable E bike for say $1500 that would last at least 5 years (for example) that would be $300/year X 2 = $600 travel transport cost (plus tent camping fees). Not bad for those who are on a budget but not ready to commit to a full on manual bike trip of that length.