Old 07-16-16, 06:20 AM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have read the thread with hope and despair. I wish some of the naysayers would just go watch TV and leave the thread open to constructive comments.

I have a wife with a bad knee and hip. I bought her an e-bike so she could enjoy the same sense of riding that I enjoy. Granted, she is more apt to credit card tour than to tent camp...., but to that end, we have not toured together. What an e-bike does enable is opportunity. Opportunity to participate if one so choses to.

What I would be interested in learning about in regards to e-bike touring is stuff about equipment efficiencies. How can one maximize the weight to distance traveled quotient. Carry an extra battery in addition to your gear? Charging during lunch breaks? What type of battery systems are better for touring in different parts of the world (plugging your charger into the wall in Germany may be different than in Texas).

I once read a blog on Crazy Guy on a Bike about a dad who wanted to join his son on the TransAm. He had historical issues with knee problems his entire life. Bad genetics I guess. An e-bike with pedal assist allowed him to create the memories that otherwise would have been lost.

My main point is that different folks will utilize different tools to capture enjoyment in life. Opening up touring experiences on a conventional bike or an e-bike or an RV with hub and spoke rides..., all accomplish the same thing; capturing memories that have more value than one could imagine.

I am still working on the right formula for me and my wife. An e-bike was an option for me to explore. Have not found the magic yet, but at least I am trying.