Old 01-08-19, 11:30 AM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I suspect that 'S" is the manufacturer, "K" is November, "0" is 1990 and "41" is the 41 st frame. If so, it's the 41st frame manufactured during November 1990. The 1991 MSRP was $649 US. It was 4th from the top in an ATB line consisting of 6 models. You could arguably make that 5th in a line of 7 ATB models, as there was the Twin Peaks tandem with Deore LX/DX, flat bars and 26" wheels.
Thanks...sounds reasonable. The bike was bought in Columbia, MO. I don't remember the name of the bike shop, but it was on a main drag and the shop was upstairs in a building with glass store fronts. You could see the bikes up there as you drove by. I remember being up there buying stuff. The state had just opened the KatyTrail. This was an old railroad line that went from St.Louis to Sedalia, MO. It wasn't quite finished then but we had about five hundred miles of access from Rocheport, MO-either direction. They had ripped up the old tracks and rolled the whole thing with Buckshot (waste limestone rock). It had the property of packing like asphalt once wetted. Our part was along the Missouri River and was gorgeous in the warm months. I mean a lot of you wouldn't piss on that kinda riding, but with two energetic boys, it was a crowd pleaser. However, in '92/'93 we had that horrible flood back there. I helped sandbag Rocheport so the town didn't literally float away. I was on National TV as a volunteer...lol.

I think the whole trail extends now as the railroad line did....pretty famous for bikes and pedestrian traffic. There was a whole lot of hullabaloo in the begiinng about how 'transients' were gonna follow the trail and rob the houses close to the trail...promote crime etc. In the end, the trail won out. The Yosemite was a natural for that trail. Other than a few yrs in the salt belt, the bike has lived in semi arid climates since then. You might have noticed from the pics, the little nuts & bolts that are usually rusted, are not. MO is humid and has a lot of fast climate changes....this means dripping humidity inside things...things that are even sealed like differentials, transaxles, bike frames etc. You just have to see it/live it to believe it. Here we have virtually none of that and bikes live forever.

Kevin

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 01-08-19 at 11:47 AM.