Old 04-04-19, 08:50 AM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redlude97
So while chocolate milk may not provide an added performance benefit, it may be a way to curb hunger following a hard ride and keep food consumption in check. That's been my experience as well, a post ride drink containing protein+carbs(not necessarily milk) allows me not to gorge on pizza or a greasy burger right after
That's been the case for me. Still, some recovery beverages work better than others. I started mixing a 24 bottle of lemon lime sports drink, spiked with 10 grams worth of vanilla flavored whey protein a couple of weeks ago. So far, so good. Doesn't upset my stomach, tastes okay, doesn't need refrigeration like CM, ect.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
If your body is depleted after a hard ride, then anything will act as a recovery drink. It doesn't matter if it's chocolate milk or Gatorade or beer or some other carb or sugar rich drink, your body will use whatever it is given at that time. Studies like these are pointless and prove nothing. Food and beverage manufacturers will do anything they can to promote their product as being superior, but in the end they all work.
While this is partially true, there are certain beverages that work better than others because they approach that ratio of 50 grams carb/10 grams high quality protein. The protein acts as an adjudicate and helps replenish glycogen. CM just happens to have the right macros, but it's certainly not the only way to get there.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
A true title and conclusion might be, "Chocolate milk improves the recovery of athletes no more than this researcher's favorite substitute for it." I would have no problem with that as long as the research continued through at least a couple weeks of hard training and follow-up.
When I had a nutritionist, she said CM worked because the macros were right. But it's not perfect for everyone, either because of dairy sensitivity, or because I can't limit myself to one cup and down a quart of the stuff, or both.

Wish I could read French, so much context lost in the translation.