View Single Post
Old 10-30-19, 08:56 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I am fortunate to have a hot engine and good circulation. I'm able to dress lighter than most while riding and be comfortable. Referencing the photo above, with temps around freezing, I rode glove free after the first major climb (mile 5) and put them back on when we turned into the wind (mile 25). The snow was falling around mile 20 and other riders kept commenting on my bare hands ... but I was too hot to put them back on.

I should have said that I've been through many gloves over the years. I started with snowboard mittens, they are OK with flat-bars on my old SS winter-commuter, but with drop-bars on my Pugsley I need at least some fingers separated. I've had some Bontrager winter gloves - I'd expect the Wisconsin brand to be good with cold gear, but these are never warm once wet with sweat or rain/sleet.

I made the leap to Pearl Izumi, getting them with year-end discount. I wasn't sure how good PI would be for deep cold, and have been very impressed! The only thing that'd make them better is a GPS tracker to find them when I can't find them

I really like the 45NRTH merino wool liner gloves, and I've loved other 45NRTH products like their Wölvhammer boots; and wool items, like the Toaster Fork and Greazy.

I think I'll end up going to the local shop and trying both options on for fit/comfort and let that make the decision ... I don't think I can go wrong with either option.