View Single Post
Old 08-22-22, 04:50 PM
Graham Wallace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3d1l
Hey hi!, thanks for posting those videos. But it seems that he is very well seated when going over the mud and trough the creek.
In the mudbike video the bike was fitted with a sprung saddle and the bike in the other video has a suspension seatpost. Both bikes are running large low-pressure tires in the region of 8 to 20psi on narrow rims, Whilst the rider is mostly seated he he is momentarily taking his weight off the saddle over sections that are rougher than the low-pressure tires can cope with.,

I'm getting the idea and it seems to be a valid alternative to what I was thinking. You are basically describing what other member of the forum described in the other thread. I was considering a Jones h-bar bend handlebar with an adjustable stem. I want to keep the elbows closer to my body:
Having the hand position in front or behind the steering axis creates what Apps refers to as the 'tiller effect' which makes the steering less precise.

What you are describing is something like this:

Photo obtained from the other thread
That looks pretty good though the Apps bikes use larger wheels, The handlebars do not need to be that high as it is the distance of the hands relative to the saddle that is important for achieving an upright position. Handlebars that are close enough to the rider only need to be high enough that the riders knees do not hit them.

FYI, This site will not allow me to post links or photos until I have made 10 posts.