View Single Post
Old 08-24-22, 04:59 AM
Graham Wallace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I remember seeing those Trek 300 hybrid bikes at my local bike shop and thinking that they looked like a comfortable ride. I especially like the stems that are adjustable by 90degrees or more. I have used this type of stem for 17 years without problems and use versions marketed as Satori or XLC. Beware the ones designed for road use as they can work loose if used off-road.

90 degree adjustable stem

I am not however a fan of telescopic suspension seatposts because most of the forces on the saddle come from the direction of the rear wheel and not the bottom-bracket.
Parallelogram type suspension seatposts like the Thudbuster are much better especially if used with a softer elastomer than the manufacturers recommend. One problem is that the elastomers harden at low temperature, so I use a softer grade elastomer in the winter.

There are a number of other parallelogram type suspension posts on the market but for off-road use go for a long-travel one that can be adjusted for suspension softness and pre-loaded for the weight of the rider. SR make a good value one that uses a coil spring inside the post and so works well at any temperature. The springs that come as standard on some makes are very stiff and only move when a large force is applied. These will do little to protect the spine from the continuous vibration commonly experienced when riding off-road.

For an even lower cost you can buy cantilever springs the fit between the post and the saddle. I have been using one of these for the past three years on its softest setting and it hasn't broken yet. A few reviews do report that they have broken, probably due to metal-fatigue, so they may not be ideal for heavier riders. When off the bike they look a little strange as the back of the saddle is higher than the front, though it levels off when you sit on it. One advantage of these is that they can easily be fitted to the top of a dropper seatpost.

Cantilever Saddle Spring

Last edited by Graham Wallace; 08-24-22 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Typo