Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21, 10:41 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,572 Times in 4,426 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Even if we don't have patient overflow, the personnel strain this puts on places that are already short-staffed is not great. They're having trouble finding anyone to work, even with crazy incentives.
Understood. There are two other hospitals nearby and both of them are closing (one on 12/31 and one on 1/31), so my local hospital may be overwhelmed. I think I am still on a stupid stand-by list to work the floors if they get desperate, my hope is it does not come to that and that our patients who are vaccinated (most of them) won't get very sick.
Old 12-21-21, 10:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Rolled out on a short ride and it started to rain. Decided to cut it short, got back a half hour later, wiped down the bike and it stopped raining. **** you, rain.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-21-21, 10:52 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Liked 2,113 Times in 987 Posts
Even if we don't have patient overflow, the personnel strain this puts on places that are already short-staffed is not great. They're having trouble finding anyone to work, even with crazy incentives.
There are some hospitals around here with 400 open nursing positions they can’t fill.
Old 12-21-21, 10:52 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Liked 2,113 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
This is why I swap the night before a ride.
It was a game time decision, had originally planned on the trainer
Old 12-21-21, 11:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,226 Times in 6,792 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Prolly. But my hope is that those who are vaccinated will have very minor illnesses so the hospitals/healthcare system won't be overwhelmed.

Sigh.
From what I'm hearing, in places like Rhode Island, the system already IS overwhelmed, and that's BEFORE the full weight of Omichron falls. But again, the hospitalized are primarily unvaccinated. This has become an epidemic of the unvaccinated minority, and for the rest of us it's a continuing annoyance more than a constant threat.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-21-21, 11:24 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,205 Times in 3,723 Posts
You mean it might be resistant to HCQ and Ivermectin???
OMG Civilization doesn't have a chance if so.
Old 12-21-21, 11:29 AM
MoAlpha
dot dash

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,177 Times in 3,324 Posts
You mean it might be resistant to HCQ and Ivermectin???
That would be pure speculation, now wouldn't it?
Old 12-21-21, 11:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by ls01
So simplified. Monoclonal, what works for one wont(?) Work for any other strain. Whereas a vaccine can be boosted for virus mutation.
Kinda/sorta.

Think of it this way: when you're vaccinated, or infected, your body generates a wide range of antibodies. It does this by having a large pool of B-cells that produce a wide, wide range of different antibody specificities. The cells that produce antibodies that bind to the new pathogen get turned on, not only to reproduce and expand their numbers, but also to undergo their own evolution, in which cells that produce new versions of the original antibodies that bind better are stimulated to reproduce and expand. This leads to your cells producing a whole bunch of antibodies that bind to different places on the virus, so that even if you encounter a new version of the virus that some antibodies don't bind to, there will still be ones that do, and the cells that produce those will expand. This is a POLYclonal response - MANY different antibodies, and also numerous different versions of the original antibodies that kinda/sorta bound, but whose binding has been enhanced by mutation and testing, mutation and testing, mutation and testing. This is why each successive round of immunization increases the efficacy - it stimulates further expansion, mutation and testing.

A monoclonal antibody is made by isolating individual antibody producing cells, finding the one 'best' antibody, decoding the genes to make it, and then using them to make kilograms of that ONE antibody. Hence MONOclonal.

BUT, in addition to the antibody producing cells, the whole immune system is primed to attack the virus and any cells infected with it, so that the infection gets snuffed out as quickly as possible. Each boost refines and broadens the response, so it's not just antibodies, it's also killer T-cells.

Sorry if this is longwinded, but it's why the vaccine, and boosting is so important - it gives the immune system a leg up, so that it's as strong against the virus as if you had been fighting the infection for a week or more already before it even sees the virus. And the immune cells that produce antiviral antibodies, or know how to kill virally infected cells produce 'memory cells' that hang around for years, so that if you ever see that pathogen again, your immune system says, "Oh, yeah! I've seen this! I need these cells to wake up and get to work!", rather than having to come up with a response from baseline again.

Old 12-21-21, 11:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I suspect that he's one of them liberal elites.
Old 12-21-21, 11:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by phrantic09
There are some hospitals around here with 400 open nursing positions they can’t fill.
Gee, I can't imagine why.

Old 12-21-21, 11:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I'm sure they're every bit as effective against Omichron as they are against Alpha and Delta.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-21-21, 11:40 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,945 Times in 2,650 Posts
There's going to be a lot of breakthroughs the next few weeks.
Old 12-21-21, 11:46 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
It's like you don't even know me...

What I HAVE been doing is, I took the Canyon off the trainer and put it in with the others so I can see how much space they take up, and amazingly it's still only a 7' x 7' x7' cube. But the Litespeed will be down to the bare frame next week anyhow while I clean all the bits. That reminds me I need to order the decals from Litespeed......

Done. Wonders of modern society. Now I just need the red Scotchbrite pads, and some acetone.
What I was trying to hint at is, once you ride that Ti beauty you won't need those other bikes.
Likes For ls01:
Old 12-21-21, 11:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Kinda/sorta.

Think of it this way: when you're vaccinated, or infected, your body generates a wide range of antibodies. It does this by having a large pool of B-cells that produce a wide, wide range of different antibody specificities. The cells that produce antibodies that bind to the new pathogen get turned on, not only to reproduce and expand their numbers, but also to undergo their own evolution, in which cells that produce new versions of the original antibodies that bind better are stimulated to reproduce and expand. This leads to your cells producing a whole bunch of antibodies that bind to different places on the virus, so that even if you encounter a new version of the virus that some antibodies don't bind to, there will still be ones that do, and the cells that produce those will expand. This is a POLYclonal response - MANY different antibodies, and also numerous different versions of the original antibodies that kinda/sorta bound, but whose binding has been enhanced by mutation and testing, mutation and testing, mutation and testing. This is why each successive round of immunization increases the efficacy - it stimulates further expansion, mutation and testing.

A monoclonal antibody is made by isolating individual antibody producing cells, finding the one 'best' antibody, decoding the genes to make it, and then using them to make kilograms of that ONE antibody. Hence MONOclonal.

BUT, in addition to the antibody producing cells, the whole immune system is primed to attack the virus and any cells infected with it, so that the infection gets snuffed out as quickly as possible. Each boost refines and broadens the response, so it's not just antibodies, it's also killer T-cells.

Sorry if this is longwinded, but it's why the vaccine, and boosting is so important - it gives the immune system a leg up, so that it's as strong against the virus as if you had been fighting the infection for a week or more already before it even sees the virus. And the immune cells that produce antiviral antibodies, or know how to kill virally infected cells produce 'memory cells' that hang around for years, so that if you ever see that pathogen again, your immune system says, "Oh, yeah! I've seen this! I need these cells to wake up and get to work!", rather than having to come up with a response from baseline again.
I have one word to say. Just ONE word!

Epitope.
Old 12-21-21, 11:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

What I was trying to hint at is, once you ride that Ti beauty you won't need those other bikes.
Need? What's this "Need" nonsense?

To be fair, I have been thinking about selling the Lotus Classique. It's a nice bike, but as a Sport Tourer, it doesn't really fit so well into the stable, and unlike the others I don't find myself wanting to ride it. There's not a thing wrong with it - it was probably in the best condition when acquired, and it's in even better shape now - but it just doesn't make me want to ride it. It just needs a replacement for one of the black wraps on the downtube, and it will be done.

Old 12-21-21, 11:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I have one word to say. Just ONE word!

Epitope.
And here I was trying to avoid jargon.

Old 12-21-21, 11:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

And here I was trying to avoid jargon.
You know how much I love it when you talk science.
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-21-21, 11:57 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
OMG Civilization doesn't have a chance if so.
we lost civilization a long time ago.
Likes For ls01:
Old 12-21-21, 12:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,205 Times in 3,723 Posts
Well ... Ti is fly ... but steel is real. But, yeah, the aluminum ones and carbon ones can now go in the garbage.
Old 12-21-21, 12:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by BillyD
Well ... Ti is fly ... but steel is real. But, yeah, the aluminum ones and carbon ones can now go in the garbage.
So if steel is "gas pipe" and aluminum is "beer can" and carbon fiber is "plastic", what's the slang for Ti?

Old 12-21-21, 12:37 PM
MoAlpha
dot dash

I'm sure they're every bit as effective against Omichron as they are against Alpha and Delta.
Concentration is important.
Old 12-21-21, 12:41 PM
MoAlpha
dot dash

So if steel is "gas pipe" and aluminum is "beer can" and carbon fiber is "plastic", what's the slang for Ti?
Healthcare provider vanity tubing (HPVT).
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-21-21, 12:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Healthcare provider vanity tubing (HPVT).
Was this purchase a mistake? Am I gonna be mistaken for a dentist? I mean, I work in healthcare, but at the other end of the drug development pipeline. My job is tossing things into one end of the pipeline.

Old 12-21-21, 12:44 PM
Mojo31
-------

Liked 6,734 Times in 3,657 Posts
Explosive.
Old 12-21-21, 12:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Explosive.
That's Magnesium.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.