Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 11:31 PM
dundas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck, and pictures would really help. Whatever you do, save the piggy-back shifters and assembly. They are often ratcheting Suntours and have many fans who will take them off of your hands, maybe even trade you for the parts you need.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're "piggy back" if I understand that correctly. The shifters are shimano 600 bolted side by side to a bracket which is on top of the down tube. I hope the pics turn out - the second shows the cable routing.
Thanks for the input.

Old 12-21-10, 11:36 PM
dundas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll try that again:

Old 12-22-10, 12:00 AM
Mr. Embrey

Bikes: Poseidon X Ambition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
85 Centurion Accordo with 7s RSX

Centurion Accordo by Mr. Embrey, on Flickr

88/89 Bianchi Strada LX with 9s Tiagra. I can't remember if I posted this one already.

88/89 Bianchi Strada LX by Mr. Embrey, on Flickr
Old 12-22-10, 08:59 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dundas
I'll try that again:
Top mount/ piggy back like a Suntour Symmetric. Is it clamp on (band all the way around the tube) or is it bolted to a Brazon?

What you will need is something like this:
https://www.retrobicyclesupply.com/su...sing-stop.html

It should be close enough to the top of the tube to work with the cable guides on the BB.

If it is a clamp on that you have then it will blend right in and look like it came that way.

If you have the Braze on style then you will have that exposed and they are usually prone of the tube about 1/4 inch. I'm still trying to figure out how to hide it on my Lotus.
Old 12-22-10, 10:01 AM
dundas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no band; the bracket is bolted to the top tube. Could I bolt cable stops to the sides of the existing bracket where the shifters connect? I think an exposed braze-on would look sloppy if I used a band.
Grim, if you figure out how to mount yours, could you let me know? Thanks for the input.
Old 12-22-10, 10:01 AM
dundas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That should read down-tube.
Old 12-22-10, 10:11 AM
snappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no band; the bracket is bolted to the top tube. Could I bolt cable stops to the sides of the existing bracket where the shifters connect? I think an exposed braze-on would look sloppy if I used a band.
Grim, if you figure out how to mount yours, could you let me know? Thanks for the input.
i think you have two options. i think you could mount cable stops to that bracket, but you would probably need to alter the cable stops or the bracket slightly. or you could use the clamp on cable stop robbie's linked. i think the clamp on cable stop would actually look less sloppy than hacked up stops mounted to a bracket mounted to a braze on.
Old 12-22-10, 10:33 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,425 Times in 924 Posts
The down tube cable stops will work, but you'd need the flat-back models. You may need a thick washer or two to make sure the stop clears the downtube. That would be the simplest option. Fairly bulky, but in line with the cable's intended path. The Suntour option listed for 14.99 would work just fine, as would the newer models I mentioned.

Can't wait to see it done.
Old 12-22-10, 12:38 PM
Grim

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That $14.99 is high for that part. I posted that just so you know what you are looking for if you go with that option. If you have a CoOp you could probably pick that up for less then $5 used. Last one I got for free at a place that does a lot of single speed/fixed gear conversion. I also got a set of Suntour bar end shifters for $10 at the same time.
RobbieTunes solution may be the better option since you have the Brazeon. Most bike stores worth going to are likely to have the part he listed in stock.
Just a FYI, that's a relatively rare mount you have. Id keep the parts in case you ever want to sell it or restore it.

I also look forward to some completed pictures. I'm still hunting for a nice Miyata in my size. Flipped a couple that were too small and really like them.
Old 12-22-10, 03:54 PM
dundas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, you people are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the info. I'll post pics once I track down the components to swap into it.
Now back to your regularly scheduled bike appreciating.
Old 12-22-10, 06:10 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As part of show and tell this is an International I don't think I have posted. It currently is 8 speed Shimano 600 Ultegra with a Stronglight compact crank but may be changed to Chorus this winter depending on other projects. It is a great ride! I have an original International and yes now I know the decal is in the wrong place.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 12-25-10, 10:00 AM
tztag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my mostly-complete 1985 Peugeot PH501 I built up for my wife. It was the model of my first racebike in high school, found a frame in great shape and built it up with Campy Mirage speed. Need to find a vintage saddle and a better seatpost, but other than that I'm happy with how it turned out!

Old 12-26-10, 01:35 PM
murphjam
bear

Bikes: '06 Scott S20, '04 Trek 3700, '88 Schwinn Tempo, '86 Schwinn Tempo, '85 Centurion Le Mans RS, '84 Univega Gran Tourismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
Top mount/ piggy back like a Suntour Symmetric. Is it clamp on (band all the way around the tube) or is it bolted to a Brazon?

What you will need is something like this:
https://www.retrobicyclesupply.com/su...sing-stop.html

It should be close enough to the top of the tube to work with the cable guides on the BB.

If it is a clamp on that you have then it will blend right in and look like it came that way.

If you have the Braze on style then you will have that exposed and they are usually prone of the tube about 1/4 inch. I'm still trying to figure out how to hide it on my Lotus.
This is what he needs, but good luck finding one.

Old 12-26-10, 01:40 PM
Roger M 
Banned.

Liked 2,448 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by tztag
Here's my mostly-complete 1985 Peugeot PH501 I built up for my wife. It was the model of my first racebike in high school, found a frame in great shape and built it up with Campy Mirage speed. Need to find a vintage saddle and a better seatpost, but other than that I'm happy with how it turned out!

Nice looking bike, TZ. Can you post up a drive side photo of it?
Old 12-26-10, 02:13 PM
tugrul

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Nice looking bike, TZ. Can you post up a drive side photo of it?
+1 That looks pretty decent.
Old 12-26-10, 05:17 PM
Grim

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by murphjam

Thats an interesting piece! I didn't know that existed.
Now I have a hankering to convert my Lotus and that's going to drive me nuts. LOL
Old 12-26-10, 05:32 PM
bikemanbob

Bikes: Bertoni Corsa Mondiale, Bridgestone T-700, Miyata 700 GT, Trek 600, Trek 560 Professional Series, Chrome Panasonic DX 2000, Peugeot PH12, Peugeot PX10, Schwinn World Voyageur, Schwinn Circuit, and Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The bike is a Giant Cadex 980c. After my first short ride, I'm looking forward the the Spring and seeing what it can do. It presently weighs 21 lbs (at 250 lbs, bike weight is less of a consideration for me). However, I am concerned that I might be too heavy for the bike. Maybe the bike will be good incentive to lose weight.

Old 12-27-10, 11:09 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cmdr
I'm getting ready to put 9-speed DA on my 80's Miyata. Has anyone used the Sheldon Brown method for re-spacing the rear drop-outs?
Why not use the Sheldon Brown 8 of 9 on 7 method instead of bending your bike?
Old 12-28-10, 09:45 AM
dundas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murphjam

That looks like it would be the perfect solution - the treasure hunt begins. Has anyone else seen one of these?
Old 12-28-10, 10:38 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
steel stays can withstand a 2mm change (per side) quite well. why limit your wheel options?

8 of 9 on 7 is cool, but best suited for aluminum and carbon in my opinion.
Old 12-28-10, 08:20 PM
murphjam
bear

Bikes: '06 Scott S20, '04 Trek 3700, '88 Schwinn Tempo, '86 Schwinn Tempo, '85 Centurion Le Mans RS, '84 Univega Gran Tourismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like it would be the perfect solution - the treasure hunt begins. Has anyone else seen one of these?
I have never seen one in the wild. I've been looking for a couple of years without any luck. There have been a couple of leads and alleged sightings, but they never panned out.
Old 12-28-10, 09:56 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i might have one, let me check my parts bin

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 12-29-10, 12:01 AM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nope, what i was thinking of is this:

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 12-29-10, 08:26 AM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtnbke
explain.
Old 12-29-10, 09:00 AM
Fred Smedley

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 91MF
explain.
https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#897

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.