Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The most elusive Park Tool has surfaced. Bent headtubes, take note.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The most elusive Park Tool has surfaced. Bent headtubes, take note.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 08:43 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
The second machine came for a visit late tonight:

Data Point #2:

Frame: Said to be a Torpado, but no markings to correlate this.
Tubing: Assumed to be Columbus. SP? SL?
Wrinkling: Some below lower head lug, minor behind upper lug.
General damage category: Low-moderate

Crash history:
Rider caught front wheel with toe clip + shoe while maneuvering and endo'ed at low speed. Was used as a fixed conversion; might explain why the toe clip jammed the front wheel that violently - pedal might have been on a downstroke?

Headtube ended up bending to 75/76 degrees. Tube sat at around 72 degrees originally (small frame = slacker head geometry).

Before and after Park HTS-1:
The worst wrinkled areas were situated below each headlug, immidiately behind the lug spear. Lower lug fared the worst with a significant wrinkle. Top tube much more moderate. No headtube damage or warping.

I was quite surprised to see that the worst of the wrinkling - below the lower headlug - nearly disappeared after straightening the headtube. All that remains is a paint split (visible in the photo). The top tube remains slightly warped (barely visible, though one can feel it), though no serious creases remain afterwards.

Photos:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Conclusion:
A smashing (pun not intended) success. The results are very good, and the tool worked as intended.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-14-15 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 08:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would ride that Torpado now.

I really like your writeups as well as your work.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-10, 09:50 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Thank you, Tom.

I wish I fit that frame too...

-Kurt

Old 04-26-10, 09:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Got any plans for it? I'd fit it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-10, 09:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Send me a PM.

-Kurt

Old 04-27-10, 06:13 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Next time...

As soon as I run across a bent frame set, I will have a go at straightening it and take good, step by step, pictures.

When I repaired the bent PX10, I used the tool being discussed, however; I also tried to focus pressures where the bends occurred. I am not sure that I can explain how I did this without pictures, but it amounted to putting pressure on the top tube, attempting to push it in the direction I wanted it to go.

As I applied pressure, I watched very closely for any signs of distortion. Remember, I have been working with metal for a long time. Also, it took me several tries to get it to move even a little.

Don't get is a hurry. Repeat, measure and repeat, until you get the results you seek or screw it up so bad that you will take up TV instead of bike riding.
Old 04-27-10, 06:20 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I think the Torpado damage is at the extreme end of what the tool can safely straightene. Anything more than that would have serious rippling and possibly kinking of the tubes.
Old 04-27-10, 06:34 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Hmm. I'm really not sure if it would straighten an EF frame. So far, I've got an SL frame, a 1020 Windsor, and the 753 frame lined up; I might be able to dig up an EF to see if it does anything.

That said though, if I do buy the tool, I'm not willing to ship it out. I wouldn't have anything against doing the frame here though, and considering the tool's size and the weight, the shipping for either would probably be about the same.

Same here.

-Kurt
Sorry Kurt I ment to put a at the end, I wouldn't think you would send that to a total stranger on the internet. I am just sitting on the Schwinn for now as I don't have the time or drive to do something with it ,I just wish someone closer to me would trade me something and do something with it it's in my way.

That is one tool I would like to own,I just thought of a guy that might have one close by I will go see him soon.

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 04-27-10 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-27-10, 06:38 AM
Jonatan F

Location: Sweden, Västragötaland, Herrljunga, Hudene, Stenunga, Hulegården :D

Bikes: Peugott Fixed (almost rideable) Mustang three-speed, Crescent 707 sport, Crescent Fashionline - BSO - Diana one-speed from -40th, Mustang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you know when the tube is straight? A good ruler, messurement or just your eyes?
Old 04-27-10, 08:12 AM
miamijim

Originally Posted by Jonatan F
How do you know when the tube is straight? A good ruler, messurement or just your eyes?
That's a very good question. In my 12 years of shop experience I probably straightened 100 frames with a similar tool. As oddly as it sounds you can 'see it'. It's a combination of stepping back and eyeing it up, using tactile feel on the tubes, visibly looking for signs of 'reverse rippling' and if you have some type of angle gauge you can compare head and seat tube angles.

A more challenging aspect of this repair is removing 'twist' from the main triangle. Unless the impact was dead head on odds are the head tube is no longer in the same plane as the seat tube. Eyeing that up can be done but in my opinion it's very difficult to get a head tube in the same plane as the seat tube.
Old 04-27-10, 09:07 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by randyjawa
I am not sure that I can explain how I did this without pictures, but it amounted to putting pressure on the top tube, attempting to push it in the direction I wanted it to go.
I didn't weigh the top tube in either case shown here. However, I did make it a point to watch the tubes set and settle, and found that the top tube curves in the center when under tension. Not by much, but enough that one can see it. It deflects back into position once one eases pressure. I found that I had to slightly overcrank the tool in both cases to counteract the memory of the steel.

That said, the headtube isn't the only thing to move when resetting it. Both the top tube and downtube work their way down a couple of degrees, offsetting the kinks behind the lugs.

Originally Posted by miamijim
I think the Torpado damage is at the extreme end of what the tool can safely straightene. Anything more than that would have serious rippling and possibly kinking of the tubes.
Agreed. Nevertheless, I'm rather surprised it did such a good job on the Torpado in the first place. I'm quite inclined to purchase the tool at this point, but I would like to give a few more frames a try, including Schwinn EF

Originally Posted by Jonatan F
As Jim pointed out - by eye. With all due respect to Randy, I don't think there is much science behind this tool - it does what it does. Both of these frames took under 2 minutes to straighten, using only the tool and eyeballing the angles.

Frankly, I doubt any other frame tools could have improved the results of Test #1 or Test #2. As one cranks the headtube, the top and down tubes naturally return to their original positions.

Originally Posted by miamijim
A more challenging aspect of this repair is removing 'twist' from the main triangle. Unless the impact was dead head on odds are the head tube is no longer in the same plane as the seat tube. Eyeing that up can be done but in my opinion it's very difficult to get a head tube in the same plane as the seat tube.
I don't mess around with main-triangle twist without a frame table and a dial indicator. I had to repair a '75 Raleigh Twenty that way. Extremely hard to eyeball it, but the dial indicator told all.

-Kurt

Old 04-27-10, 09:27 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I would be interested in hearing anecdotal ride reports, comparing how a bike rode before it was damaged versus how it rode after this repair.

I have one such anecdote. In 1980 I worked at a shop where we had this tool, and used it to straighten a Miyata tha had collided with a car. It was a classic example of the kind of damage this tool can fix. The owner really loved that bike, and was glad to be able to ride it again; and the repaired bike looked as good as new. Well, almost; there were subtle ripples in the paint right where you'd expect them. Anyway, the owner was thrilled to get it back in ridable condition; but after riding it, he didn't love it any more. It didn't feel the same.

Of course, one can always ask... was that real, or all in his head? Does it matter? (What's in my head is real; everything else is imaginary).
Old 04-27-10, 10:34 AM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a Paramount frame on Ebay that could use this treatment. It is almost my size... mmmmm
Old 04-27-10, 12:30 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by elguicho
There is a Paramount frame on Ebay that could use this treatment. It is almost my size... mmmmm
I haven't seen any bent Paramounts on eBay? What auction is it?

-Kurt

Old 04-27-10, 12:46 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Very interesting thread and great write-ups as usual, Kurt.
Old 04-27-10, 01:09 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by rhm
I would be interested in hearing anecdotal ride reports, comparing how a bike rode before it was damaged versus how it rode after this repair.

I have one such anecdote. In 1980 I worked at a shop where we had this tool, and used it to straighten a Miyata tha had collided with a car. It was a classic example of the kind of damage this tool can fix. The owner really loved that bike, and was glad to be able to ride it again; and the repaired bike looked as good as new. Well, almost; there were subtle ripples in the paint right where you'd expect them. Anyway, the owner was thrilled to get it back in ridable condition; but after riding it, he didn't love it any more. It didn't feel the same.

Of course, one can always ask... was that real, or all in his head? Does it matter? (What's in my head is real; everything else is imaginary).
I'd say it was combination of structural and mental but probably mostly mental. What I can say, and I'm sure everyone else will agree is that a straightened frame will never be as strong.
Old 04-27-10, 01:24 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't seen any bent Paramounts on eBay? What auction is it?

-Kurt

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

I was watching it earlier this week until I realized "What the hell am I gonna do with a Paramount with crash damage"
Old 04-27-10, 01:56 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
I was watching it earlier this week until I realized "What the hell am I gonna do with a Paramount with crash damage"
Speaking of something that isn't worth the price of admission. That's already $90+ for a wrecked frame w/shipping.

-Kurt

Old 04-27-10, 01:58 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My feelings exactly

it was $0.99 when i started watching and around 20 bux when I took it off my watch list. I really didn't even expect to see one bid.
Old 04-27-10, 02:08 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of something that isn't worth the price of admission. That's already $90+ for a wrecked frame w/shipping.

-Kurt
I was watching it mostly because I will need a badge for my beat up Paramount.
Old 04-27-10, 02:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Here is frame #3 . Like the Windsor, a complete write off, but I nevertheless wished to experience what would happen with Reynolds 753 first-hand.

Data Point #3 :

Frame: 1987 (?) Raleigh Team Professional, Jan Legrand SDBU build
Tubing: Reynolds 753R
Wrinkling: Major crumpling on downtube, very slight downwards bend to top tube. Headtube warped under top head lug.
General damage category: Extreme+

Crash history:
Little known about crash, except that it was a high-speed impact.

Before and after Park HTS-1:
This frame was obviously a failed cause before I ever put it in the HTS-1. Downtube had collapsed behind shifter levers, with noticeable creases. The top tube had only the slightest of a downward curve; the headtube took the rest of the force that would have otherwise taken out the top tube - note the warp under the upper head lug.

Nevertheless, I proceeded to pull the downtube straight. Though the previous two frames had experienced reverse bowing of the top tube under pressure (and sprung back after the tool was loosened), the 753 frame bowed significantly. So much so that the top tube remained noticeably bowed after the tool was removed.

The downtube never did straighten out entirely - the top and bottom halves are about two degrees off. The sharp creases began to crack open in the process; the tool was de-tensioned after snapping sounds were heard from this area. Two visible gaps formed from the crease locations.

Photos:

BEFORE:

UNDER TENSION:

AFTER:

Conclusion:
Failure all around. I knew that beforehand, but I wasn't expecting the tool to add additional damage to the top tube.

Before I dismiss this tool entirely, I want to see if I can dig up a frame with a bowed - but not warped - headtube, much like Randy's PX-10. Unless it can pass the non-wrinkled frame test, I'm not going to buy it; it'll be a waste of money on a worthless novelty. If it does work on a slightly curved frame w/o any kinks (Randy's frame has technically proven it already, though I'd like to try it out too), then I'd see the point in it.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-14-15 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 02:46 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by elguicho
I was watching it mostly because I will need a badge for my beat up Paramount.
If you win it, let me know if you'd lend me the carcass to test it on this tool. It looks like an interesting bend - very little warping.

-Kurt

Old 04-27-10, 03:55 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Needless to say, I cannot comment on another bicycle, but this is the before and after story for my PX10. You will see that all was not necessarily well - at first.
Old 04-27-10, 05:23 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Raleigh was utterly tragic, Kurt.
Old 04-27-10, 05:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Needless to say, I cannot comment on another bicycle, but this is the before and after story for my PX10. You will see that all was not necessarily well - at first.
I read up on your PX10 - you lucked out with a frame that had not deformed out of round, and had simply curved downwards a bit. This tool is pretty much useless the moment there's a crease - even that silver Paramount is beyond hope.

If I could find a few more frames bent in the same manner as your PX10, perhaps I'd view the tool in better light.

Originally Posted by rat fink
That Raleigh was utterly tragic, Kurt.
All it needs is a new front triangle. Any framebuilder can take care of that. Since its silver soldered, that makes it even easier.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-27-10 at 05:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.