Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My disconnect with spin class

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My disconnect with spin class

Old 07-22-22, 07:30 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
I don’t get all the hate. Why can’t we do what works for each of us?

I’m 57 years old. I never developed the balance to be able to ride inside. Why can’t I take the subway to class, wear used or free clothes, even if they have a designer name, to ride the way I want to?

I don’t want to hurt myself then be laid up for months.
Only time you need balance to ride inside is on rollers. There's LOTS more options than rollers now!
Old 07-22-22, 09:15 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Only time you need balance to ride inside is on rollers. There's LOTS more options than rollers now!
Excuse me - outside! I never had the balance to ride outside!!!!
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 07-22-22, 01:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
You didn't get my main point and the inference to save the planet and green policies suggestion to ride a bike vs drive a gas car and burn carbon fuels just get to an indoor exercise facility and pretend you're riding a bike. Driving a car to a spin class is contrary to being green.
You are the fellow claiming that the young women are going to a spin class for the express purpose of meeting your "inferences" that their alleged goal of the spin class is to save the planet or to pretend to ride a bike. Did any of those women tell you that or did one of the little birdies that you listen to while you explore the great outdoors on your bike reveal the real truth about these women? Or more likely, do you make up your "inferences" all by yourself to confirm your own bias?
Old 07-22-22, 04:18 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
You're not getting my point, I-Like-To-Bike.

It is hypocritical to support a Green Agenda or have a Save The Planet sticker on your BMW and yet burn carbon fuels driving to a spinning class. Just buy a bike and ride it. That's as green as it gets. That's as plain as I can say it.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You are the fellow claiming that the young women are going to a spin class for the express purpose of meeting your "inferences" that their alleged goal of the spin class is to save the planet or to pretend to ride a bike. Did any of those women tell you that or did one of the little birdies that you listen to while you explore the great outdoors on your bike reveal the real truth about these women? Or more likely, do you make up your "inferences" all by yourself to confirm your own bias?
Old 07-22-22, 04:42 PM
rwhillman

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder why there is so much snark on bike forums. We are talking about bikes. Should be fun.
Old 07-22-22, 04:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by rwhillman
I wonder why there is so much snark on bike forums. We are talking about bikes. Should be fun.
IMO this is not a unique problem. Too many people online think they have to win an argument. The question for those people is "What's the point?" If there are facts involved, just state them. If it's opinion, give your opinion and shut up. Let the gentle reader decide what their opinion is. This is a public square. Arguments about opinions cause people to walk away and look for something more interesting. I've been trying to get better at following my own advice over the years. It's not always easy. We all have our buttons.

If these things go on long enough, sooner or later a mod shows up and quiets things down with one of their tools.
Old 07-22-22, 05:05 PM
rwhillman

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
IMO this is not a unique problem. Too many people online think they have to win an argument. The question for those people is "What's the point?" If there are facts involved, just state them. If it's opinion, give your opinion and shut up. Let the gentle reader decide what their opinion is. This is a public square. Arguments about opinions cause people to walk away and look for something more interesting. I've been trying to get better at following my own advice over the years. It's not always easy. We all have our buttons.

If these things go on long enough, sooner or later a mod shows up and quiets things down with one of their tools.
Fair enough. But I wonder what it is about a bike forum (especially one keyed to older folks) that brings out the edge in people. I frequent astronomy and photography forums as well and don't see the same edge in comments.
Old 07-22-22, 06:17 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Spinning (topic of this thread) is not riding a bike. Therein lies the rub.
Old 07-22-22, 08:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Spinning (topic of this thread) is not riding a bike. Therein lies the rub.
Bike riding is not spinning; so what? Why are you so wrongly rubbed about other people who do spin for whatever reasons they may have (or reasons you think they have?)
Old 07-22-22, 08:56 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It is hypocritical to support a Green Agenda or have a Save The Planet sticker on your BMW and yet burn carbon fuels driving to a spinning class. Just buy a bike and ride it. That's as green as it gets. That's as plain as I can say it.
I get your point, you fabricated a straw man argument about some strangers' alleged "Green Agenda because you think they should ride a bicycle when you see them.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-23-22, 07:17 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Gotta love Bike Forums, where no matter what you’re doing, there’s always someone to tell you that you’re doing it wrong.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-23-22, 12:23 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
i spin 2 or 3 times a week. I don't ride outside so I can't compare it. I'm sure there are similarities and differences.
Spinning is great for an intense aerobic workout and I prefer it to treadmill work if I need to use a gym when on holiday etc. When I had to go to Amsterdam often and the weather was bad, I'd join in the local gym spin class in lieu of my normal cycling. I quite liked it and, yes, I think there are similarities in terms of pure exercise.

I don't do spinning classes anymore but my regular outdoor training includes intense spin efforts that are very similar. Spin classes won't prepare anyone for long endurance work really, but they are a great exercise routine for an hour or so of intense effort.

I've been cycling every day this past week with a woman who is here on holiday with her family, she only started road cycling a little over year ago and came from a spin class and yoga background.

In the past year, she has worked on her endurance and is becoming a very strong road cyclist - her speed work is truly very good and she has recently taken up competing in time trials. Today she did circa 60 miles and 4500ft at 17mph - in temps 90-110F. Not shabby for a 50yr old spin class cyclist with 1 yr on the road. On the flat I was doing 25-30mph for long stretches and she was keeping up. I only felt I was having to really slow down on the climbs but she'll improve.

Old 07-25-22, 09:00 AM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

I'm not at all "rubbed" by spinning. At home in the winter I use a trainer. I may buy a Peloton or similar device this winter. I use spinning to help keep in shape in the winter. I don't get in my car and drive to spin.

Rub is having Green-Initiative stickers on your BMW and burning fossil fuels driving to a spin class. That's what I see when I ride my bike past the fitness center and see the cars with such stickers and the spin class going on through the big plate glass windows. That's hypocritical. If one is really concerned about global warming and the environment then one would avoid doing that and, instead, ride a bike (or else buy a Peloton or similar device and do it at home). I'm pointing out that specific hypocrisy. I didn't intend to call out the entire activity of spinning.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Bike riding is not spinning; so what? Why are you so wrongly rubbed about other people who do spin for whatever reasons they may have (or reasons you think they have?)
Old 07-25-22, 04:48 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Rub is having Green-Initiative stickers on your BMW and burning fossil fuels driving to a spin class. That's what I see when I ride my bike past the fitness center and see the cars with such stickers and the spin class going on through the big plate glass windows. That's hypocritical.
There are many possible reasons why someone would choose to drive to the gym rather than bicycle. Maybe they don't feel safe biking that route. Maybe they have errands to do before or after the gym class. Maybe they are worried their bike will be stolen during class.

Maybe it's none of your business.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-26-22, 10:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by terrymorse
There are many possible reasons why someone would choose to drive to the gym rather than bicycle. Maybe they don't feel safe biking that route. Maybe they have errands to do before or after the gym class. Maybe they are worried their bike will be stolen during class.

Maybe it's none of your business.
B-B-B-but wuddabout dose bumper stickers!
Old 07-26-22, 01:27 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts

I suppose it must really get your panties in a twist when you see folks driving with a bike rack on their car, which means that they are burning gasoline so that they can go ride someplace new. Get a life, man! Live and let live.

Last edited by davester; 07-26-22 at 01:38 PM.
Likes For davester:
Old 07-26-22, 07:33 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Back to original intent of OP regarding their "disconnect with Spin class":

Spinning to me is a bit like sprinting on the real road in a big gear. I was never a good sprinter and I'm worse now. I just can't put out the power needed. I can climb well (or at least I used to lol) but I'm toast when I have to sprint in a big gear. Same with me and spinning - I'm not very good at spinning in a big gear for a long time. I can't keep up a fast pace (talking about spinning at home on trainer). I use spinning at home mostly for interval training in the winter January/ Feb/ March.

Last edited by Recycled Cycler; 07-26-22 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-26-22, 07:42 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Good point. In the past, I didn't think much about putting bike in my van and driving to a weekend bike ride. But I think about it more now with a shift in our society towards reducing fossil fuel consumption. I personally bike more now and drive less. But, those bike racks on other cars don't bother me at all.

Originally Posted by davester
I suppose it must really get your panties in a twist when you see folks driving with a bike rack on their car, which means that they are burning gasoline so that they can go ride someplace new. Get a life, man! Live and let live.

Last edited by Recycled Cycler; 07-26-22 at 09:10 PM.