Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ebay Carbon Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ebay Carbon Wheels

Old 07-27-21, 07:50 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Just dont buy them , the quality control is not good as a normal branded one. You can have a lot of choice by looking on internet , just find a good brand and buy.
For example i own a prime component pair of wheelset , well they are not a pair of campagnolo or fulcrum but at least they were sold by wiggle or crc , basically i'ts a small brand (i think owned by them) that has quality control and a great support. CRC and Wiggle are two big shops , thats why i have the security that prime brand is not some cheap or problematic brand.
Also i noticed that brand in the last years became a lot popular , you should take a look and get your idea a lot away from china parts.
It's not a "small brand"....it's a "house brand". Two completely different things. I would bet dollars to donuts they are sourced out of both China and Taiwan depending on which model you're getting. Chain Reaction buys them in bulk with their brand on them...then sells them to you. They weren't hand built in the back of corporate next to the water cooler. This is a page from a very long playbook started back in the late 80's executed by Performance, Nashbar, etc...
Old 07-28-21, 05:16 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires
It's not a "small brand"....it's a "house brand". Two completely different things. I would bet dollars to donuts they are sourced out of both China and Taiwan depending on which model you're getting. Chain Reaction buys them in bulk with their brand on them...then sells them to you. They weren't hand built in the back of corporate next to the water cooler. This is a page from a very long playbook started back in the late 80's executed by Performance, Nashbar, etc...
But the point is that they will have some kind of quality control behind them. They will no doubt be sourced in Asia, but CRC will have made some effort to find a reputable source before putting their house brand on them. Buying from CRC just takes out some of the effort in working out which of the Chinese ebay specials are reputable.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-28-21, 09:23 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
I bought super team off amazon back in December. I have almost 3000 miles on them, and no issues at all. Crashed once and still true. I’m very happy with them.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 08-01-21, 09:19 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
But the point is that they will have some kind of quality control behind them. They will no doubt be sourced in Asia, but CRC will have made some effort to find a reputable source before putting their house brand on them. Buying from CRC just takes out some of the effort in working out which of the Chinese ebay specials are reputable.
exacly
Old 08-01-21, 09:58 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
We have two members here who hand build CF wheels at a reasonable price with real support. Boyd and Psimet. Happy customer.
Likes For popeye:
Old 08-01-21, 10:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Bad news for all the pro riders out there reading BF that are contemplating buying cheap carbon wheels online, I guess.
Chris Froome gets most of his equipment advice from Bike Forums.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-03-21, 08:19 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
One word of warning. On Ebay, a seller known as "Carbon Zone" or "The Carbon Zone" Complete utter garbage. Won't stand behind his products. I had a front wheel failure on a brand new wheelset. The sides were separating enough to cause the brakes to pulsate. He stalled until the replacement envelope expired then ghosted me.
I buy from King bike 888, or Princess bike . No problems. I have 5 other sets from these 2 reputable sellers without any problems.
Old 08-03-21, 10:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Someone on eBay doesn't stand behind their product? On eBay???
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-03-21, 12:34 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
One word of warning. On Ebay, a seller known as "Carbon Zone" or "The Carbon Zone" Complete utter garbage. Won't stand behind his products. I had a front wheel failure on a brand new wheelset. The sides were separating enough to cause the brakes to pulsate. He stalled until the replacement envelope expired then ghosted me.
I buy from King bike 888, or Princess bike . No problems. I have 5 other sets from these 2 reputable sellers without any problems.
I wouldn't expect any sort of guarantees or after sale service from someone selling cheap/generic carbon wheels on Ebay.
It sucks that you got burned, but that's part of the gamble here.
Old 08-03-21, 08:04 PM
spilot101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for the heads up
Old 08-09-21, 07:42 AM
ls01
he said member

I hate to have to dredge this thread back up. But I have an update.

This is a hoop that I purchased from princess bike. It replaced the hoops on the set of wheels that failed last year from Carbon Zone. I have 1500 to 2000 miles on this wheelset after rebuilding it with these new hoops. They are 55mm deep, tubeless U shaped x 25 mm wide. I last rode them on thursday, they were fine. Saturday morning it exploded after pumping it up. 6 months old. Contacted Candy @ princess bike. She is going to warranty the hoop if I pay shipping ($65.00)
Old 08-09-21, 08:16 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
I hate to have to dredge this thread back up. But I have an update.

This is a hoop that I purchased from princess bike. It replaced the hoops on the set of wheels that failed last year from Carbon Zone. I have 1500 to 2000 miles on this wheelset after rebuilding it with these new hoops. They are 55mm deep, tubeless U shaped x 25 mm wide. I last rode them on thursday, they were fine. Saturday morning it exploded after pumping it up. 6 months old. Contacted Candy @ princess bike. She is going to warranty the hoop if I pay shipping ($65.00)

Over pressure? I run 80 psi on mine with 32 tires.
Old 10-07-21, 06:30 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Over pressure? I run 80 psi on mine with 32 tires.
sorry I didn't see this question.
I run all the psi's. 110 sometimes 120. That was included in the criteria I supplied before purchase.
Old 10-07-21, 06:33 AM
ls01
he said member

Just to update the status of the failed front wheel. I received my new hoop yesterday. Princess bike honored the warranty. I did have to pay for shipping but that's $65.00. I just need to swap it over to the spokes now.
Old 10-07-21, 07:03 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Superteam seems reliable .... I went with Baixiang many years ago and love the wheels. They roll well, they are light (and light 28-spoke disc wheels are usually pricey) and they were affordable --sub $400 as I recall. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again nor to try Superteam.

Basically there are cheap wheels, crap knock-off wheels, bargain wheels, name-brand wheels and expensive wheels .... the name-brand wheels start at $500 or so and the expensive wheels seem to start around $700 and run up to three or four times that amount, which is kind of a lot for me.

If I can get perfectly good CF wheels for $385 I don't care what the decal says. I am sure Boyd and Reynolds and Zipp make awesome wheels .... I also know there is no prize money to be had from a 14-mph spin around the scenic neighborhoods around my town. I guess I will keep supporting small businesses in China. (And most of the other stuff except the expensive wheels, are probably sourced from China anyway.)