Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you have hearing aids and use them when riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you have hearing aids and use them when riding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-23, 08:03 AM
wilas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm glad that I've found this thread as I started wearing hearing aids not long ago and I don't know what to do when riding. I know a lot of people find it dangerous to ride without the devices. But it seems I need to replace a helmet for that.
Old 10-15-23, 11:14 AM
lex further

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't wear mines too. I'm a three-decade hearing aid user. My last three sets have been RIC's, and my current pair is a PHONAK Paradise 50. I've recently taken a part-time job at Bass Pros Shops in the marine department selling boats and ATVs. (hey retirement is over-rated). The problem has arisen because I need to wear a communications device, an in-house radio, and the earpiece fits over one ear. Going to get in touch with the hearing aid online and hope they will be able to solve my problem.

Last edited by lex further; 11-03-23 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-15-23, 01:33 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Have them, don't wear them while riding. Wind noise is horrific.
Old 10-16-23, 04:15 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
I'm completely deaf in the left ear and wear a high powered hearing aid in the right ear. For riding, I wear a soft sweatband, pulled down just over the microphone of the hearing aid. Then my helmet on top of that. No wind noise and I can still hear traffic and talk to other riders. Just can't tell where the sound is coming from, so I use a take a look mirror attached to my helmet to keep track of motor vehicles.
Old 10-18-23, 03:43 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
As a wearer of HAs who uses them while riding, my reco is to ask your provider about wearing yours. With my 2015 Phonaks, I was told not to wear them while exercising. I was told wearing my 2019 Philips 9010s was fine. Newer HAs tend to be IP67, so wearing while riding should be OK. Again, though, we all pay our providers enough money for them to give us their recommendations.